Thursday, May 04, 2006

"New Music Thursday"

Yes, I know, all new music drops on Tuesday! Believe me, you don't volunteer for the finest station on the planet (www.xpn.org) and not know that bit of information.

But, I thought it'd be fun to chat about new stuff, and then present other things that have held the test of time.

I'm a little late coming to Beth Orton's "Comfort Of Strangers" (especially since "Conceived" was released as a single here in the States last December). This is a fine CD, but only if you're a Beth Orton fan.

If you're used to hearing her airy, fragile voice on chill CD "Ministry Of London" re-mixes, then this is not the CD for you. However, if you'd like to hear what she can do as a songwriter, pick this one up.

World Party has moved back into town, and has reissued all of their previous CD's (thanks, Karl!) I haven't had a chance to pick up "Dumbing Up" yet, but as I understand, this isn't new material. "Dumbing Up" was released in the UK a number of years ago, and it's only been issued in the States now.

Karl Wallinger (who is, for all intents and purposes, "World Party") suffered an aneurysm a few years back that left him without the ability to speak. Anyway, it'll be a pleasure to pick up the reissues of "Private Revolution" and "Egyptology" without paying what Amazon.co.uk wants for it (sorry, Madblogger, the pound still isn't my friend).

I'm really excited about the new "Zero 7" CD, since, well, I'm 41 years old, LOL! I think it was Nick Hornsby who said, "Just when we all got too old for dance music, here comes the chillout stuff."

Moby has new instrumentals up on his MySpace site...haven't listened to them yet, but I will. I'm a huge fan of the little, bald vegan guy. Incidentally, don't miss him live; he puts on one hell of a show.

And, I'd really disappoint Madblogger if I didn't mention the new Mark Knopfler/Emmylou Harris effort. This is my next purchase, and I've really loved everything I've heard from it so far. It's not going to be to everyone's taste, since it seems to have a very old-timey "Johnnie/June" feel to it, but I'm a sucker for Knopfler's guitar work and Emmylou's voice. So, there!

So, out of the stack the other day, I pulled out Jeb Loy Nichols' "Just What Time it Is" and Pat Metheny's freshman effort "Bright Size Life".

And, what's not to love about "Bright Size Life"! You've got Pat, the late (but great) Jaco Pastorius on bass and Bob Moses on drums. It's a classic trio that only borders on what Pat would eventually do with a full band. This isn't "smooth jazz" at all...there is some serious groovitude going on, even when it does slow down a bit.

Now, you either love Jeb Loy Nichols or he puts you to sleep. I'm in the former category, but this is one terrific CD to put on when you just want to relax or slow down a bit. I love this guy's voice, and the music is very groove-worthy and entirely danceable, but in a slow, sexy kind of way.

Anyway, let me know if you'd like me to continue doing "New Music Thursdays"! It certainly makes it easier on my end!

2 comments:

Paul Bobnak said...

Jeb Loy Nichols gets my vote, as does New Music Thursday!

Dee said...

I thought it'd be a neat idea to have one day dedicated entirely to music, but once I get this blogging deal figured out, I'd like to provide links to what someone like Jonathan Schwartz does via WNYC, but around the world.