Monday, November 12, 2007

Pushing Christmas


Just in case you haven’t checked your calendar, Thanksgiving is next Thursday.

Yeah, I know; it seems we just go from Labor Day directly to “Christmakwanzaakah” these days, but here it is, staring us in the face.

I do my best to ignore the fact that Wegmans’ chooses to display Christmas trees before Halloween (WTF?), but you’ve got to love their disclosure on how some people prefer to shop early for the holidays, which at their Cherry Hill location is strategically placed in front of a frog (huh?), wearing a Santa hat, all covered in green and red lights.

If anyone out there has a good explanation for this, please let me know. I’d love to hear it. “A Muppet Christmas” I get; a frog that’s not Kermit, not so much.

I have enough problems these days explaining (again) how a vegetarian celebrates Thanksgiving, but I’m used to it. I’ve been a veghead (on and off) for well over twenty years, and my stock answer is always this; I eat everything but the turkey. Besides, I’m a “Just Say No To Tofurkey” kind of gal. See that picture up there? That's not Thanksgiving dinner; that's some sort of weird punishment.

Bring on the wild mushroom stuffing (made with veggie stock, of course!), homemade mushroom gravy, more mashed potatoes, please, fresh spicy cranberry sauce, green beans with shallots and tomatoes, roasted butternut squash with real maple syrup and butter, homemade rolls with more butter, carrots with fresh ginger and honey, and those pearl onions in cream sauce.

Mmmm…with that all-star lineup, who needs the turkey?
Bring on the pumpkin pie, baby! I'm ready!

1 comment:

Paul Bobnak said...

Now I'm starting to get hungry again!

Yep, you're right-that lineup is that good!